Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Events & News

Categories

Tags

16901 17162 17182 17201 17211 17232 17302 17317 17381 17932 17951 18112 18132 18201 18221 18312 18331 18354 18369 18375 18384 18403 18451 18461 18491 18511 18531 18567 18576 18581 18593 18602 18613 18652 18661 18675 18686 18693 18701 18721 18733 18745 18753 18762 18775 18781 18792 18804 18815 18822 18837 188410 18857 188617 18877 18882 188910 18904 18919 18923 18932 18946 18959 189610 18976 18984 18999 19009 19013 19026 19037 19044 190510 190610 19075 19086 190914 19107 19113 19128 19139 191412 19157 191619 1917252 1918225 19193 19208 19217 192220 19239 192414 192511 192628 192722 192816 192921 193016 19315 193217 19339 19349 193510 193623 193716 193821 193913 194014 194122 194216 1942 19541 194312 194417 194521 194626 194716 19489 194922 195010 19513 19526 195316 195427 195537 195634 195726 195814 195912 196031 19617 196212 196335 196410 196511 196624 19678 196845 196915 197015 197119 197219 197324 197417 197521 197632 197725 197830 197923 198024 198119 198224 198320 198411 198524 198617 198719 198815 19896 199012 19918 199215 199314 19947 199512 19966 19977 19985 199910 20005 20012 20029 20037 20049 20055 20068 20079 20084 20094 20106 201110 20122 20134 20146 20152 20162 Central Library2 Every Child Ready to Read3 fairy tales2 Fatal Corner1 Ghost Tracks1 Hemisfair '681 Henry B. Gonzales1 Jim Croce1 Little Read Wagon2 Millers Pond1 Movies by Moonlight1 Northridge Park1 play and learn2 Remind1 segregation1 Shah of Iran1 Soundgarden1 Spurs3 Taco Cabana1 teacher workshops2 UTSA1 WII2 World War I5 WWI400 WWI 19771 WWII1

News & Announcements

May 14 in San Antonio history...

1716
The Spanish Council of War approves a site on the San Antonio River for a fortified presidio. The Domingo Ramon expedition, accompanied by the trader St. Denis from Louisiana (who had come to the site two years previously), established a presidio on the river at what is now San Pedro Park. This same council also approves the request by Father Olivares to establish a mission near the site.

1917 – World War I
The San Antonio Light remarks that “The United States has been at war with Germany 39 days and practically all the measures through which this government is to do its part in the world’s battle for humanity and civilization still are in the talking stage in Congress.”

1926veramendi
After being in storage for many years, the doors to the Veramendi Palace (right) were donated to the Alamo Museum today by John James.  Mr. James, along with the late Capt. F. F. Collins, has owned the doors since the old palace was razed about 15 years ago. The doors are made of hand-carved cedar and are so heavy that it takes six men to lift one.

Print
Categories: Texana
Rate this article:
No rating

x