Monday, September 21, 2020

Events & News

Categories

Tags

16902 16912 17162 17184 17202 17211 17233 17303 173114 17383 17934 17952 18114 18135 18202 18222 18313 18331 18359 183619 18378 18388 18391 18406 18421 18453 18462 18492 18512 18524 18533 18541 185614 18578 18582 18595 18604 18616 18653 18667 186711 186811 18697 18702 18727 18737 187410 187510 18766 187712 18786 18795 18807 18819 18825 188315 188424 188519 188623 188712 18888 188918 18906 189117 18927 18934 189416 189520 189616 189711 18989 189920 1899 19251 190024 190113 190217 190315 190416 190525 190616 190716 190814 190934 191017 191110 191220 191319 191423 191518 191634 1917271 1918333 191914 192012 192114 192234 192323 192423 192522 192646 192748 192833 192951 1931 193036 193110 193228 193317 193421 193522 193651 193730 193842 193938 194042 194139 194231 1942 19541 194318 194430 194540 1945 19561 1946158 194735 194829 194951 195028 19518 195216 195329 195452 195558 195667 195749 195832 195923 196056 196115 196219 196358 196423 196526 196640 196720 196887 196948 197031 197132 197234 197353 197431 197539 197658 197748 197855 197946 198051 198132 198247 198341 198432 198550 198644 198744 198830 198916 199026 199116 199231 199331 199416 199523 199611 199717 199810 199922 20009 20015 200219 200313 200415 20058 200613 200712 20089 200911 20109 201114 20126 20135 20147 20156 20163 20172 44 BC1 Alamo Stadium1 AlamoBowl1 Arneson1 Battle of Flowers2 Carol Burnett1 Central Library1 Every Child Ready to Read4 Eyes of Texas1 fairy tales2 Fatal Corner1 Food Bank1 Gardening1 Ghost Tracks1 Hawaii Five-O1 Hemisfair '681 Henry B. Gonzales1 Ira Attebury1 Jim Croce1 Kids1 Little Read Wagon4 Millers Pond1 Northridge Park1 play and learn3 Queen1 Remind1 Scottish Rite1 segregation1 Shah of Iran1 snow1 Soundgarden1 Spurs4 SRV1 Star Wars Holiday Special1 Supermall1 Taco Cabana2 teacher workshops1 Train robbery1 UTSA1 WII2 World War I5 WWI476 WWI 19771 WWII1

News & Announcements

August 14 in San Antonio history...

1895
Ground is broken for the main building of Our Lady of the Lake Academy.  Originally, the name was to be “St. Mary’s of the Lake” but Bishop Forest persuaded Mother Florence that there were so many St. Mary’s in San Antonio that another name might be more appropriate.  With that, the name was changed to Our Lady of the Lake.

1906
The S. A. and A. P. railroad will run a spur line to the 17,000-acre target range and maneuver ground, near Leon Springs, which the government has recently been acquiring. In event of any practice at this place there will then be ample facilities for the trans­portation of troops. The “Sap’s” engineer is now at work figuring out the route, and it is expected the work on the short line will be begun at an early date.

1917 – World War I
Colonel Malvern-Hill Barnum, chief of staff of the Southern Department of the Army, made the announcement today that the name Camp Kelly, used informally for years, is now officially Kelly Field.  The government is designating all its aviation posts as fields and not camps, so Camp Kelly must go.

Print
Categories: Texana
Rate this article:
No rating