Emma Abbott is featured at the grand opening of the Grand Opera House on Alamo Plaza (right). The Grand Opera House (later Grand Theatre) was built in 1886 and for many years was the best theatre in San Antonio. It was located at 303 Alamo Plaza. It stayed in business until the 1930′s when it closed. The Grand was razed in 1954 to make way for H. L. Green Dept. Store.
The Southwest Foundation of Applied Research (now Southwest Research Institute) is established.
The Santikos multiplex Palladium 20-screen & IMAX theater holds its soft opening.