The Library works with OverDrive, the world’s leading distributor of digital content for libraries, to offer eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming video and periodicals for check out to San Antonio Public Library card holders. On Sunday, December 18th, the one millionth digital item was checked out from OverDrive by a patron from the Central Library. The item was an eAudiobook of The Scorch Trials: The Maze Runner Series by James Dashner.
The only other Texas Public Library systems to achieve one million checkouts with OverDrive during one calendar year were Harris County Public Library and the Houston Area Digital Media Consortium.
In 2007, the San Antonio Public Library became one of the first library systems in the nation to offer digital eBooks. Since then, the digital collection has grown significantly. The San Antonio Public Library now offers more than 100,000 items for checkout. Items can be checked out and downloaded directly to any personal mobile device or computer. These items also return themselves when lending periods are over, so borrowers never receive late fees for digital items!
Below are lists of the top 10 checked out digital items, top 10 checked out eBooks, and top 10 checked out eAudiobooks in 2016 (as of December 20, 2016).
1. The Wall Street Journal (newspaper)
2. OK! Magazine
3. Star (magazine)
4. USA Today (newspaper)
5. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing (eAudiobook)
6. The Girl on the Train (eBook)
7. The Book Thief (eBook) A Mayor's Book Club Selection
8. HGTV Magazine
9. Prevention (magazine)
10. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (eBook)
1. The Girl on the Train
2. The Book Thief- A Mayor's Book Club Selection
3. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
4. Me Before You
5. All the Light We Cannot See
6. Rogue Lawyer
7. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
8. A Murder in Time
9. The Martian
10. Make Me: Jack Reacher #20
1. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing
2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
3. The Girl on the Train
4. Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
5. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
6. Three Wishes
7. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
8. To Kill a Mockingbird
9. Fahrenheit 451
10. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Visit mysapl.org/digital for more information about the digital collection at the San Antonio Public Library.