Juan N. Seguin, in a letter to General Bee of this city, positively asserts that the charred bones and ashes of the Alamo defenders, burned by Santa Anna’s orders, were collected in an urn and deposited in a grave which the Seguin had dug inside of the cathedral of San Fernando, in front of the altar close to the railing.(from the April 21, 1889 San Antonio Light newspaper)
King Antonio XXIII, George Friedrich, directs his armada of more than 50 boats down the San Antonio River in the first ever Fiesta River Fête. This replaces the previous tradition of King Antonio arriving in the city by royal coach. The ceremony also serves as a formal dedication of the River Beautification Project.
The refurbished copper Indian is returned to his place atop the old Missouri Pacific depot downtown. Castroville blacksmith Alan Lewis restored the Indian after it was found battered and bent in a nearby field when vandals removed it five years ago.