Saturday, March 6, 2021

Events & News

Categories

February 23 in San Antonio history...

1720San_Jose_&_Fords (crop)
Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo is founded by Father Margil de Jesus, who names it in honor of San Jose, San Miguel and Governor Aguayo (Jose de Azlor y Virto de Vera, the Marquis de Aguayo, appointed Governor of Texas and Coahuila in 1719).  Olivares protests its closeness to Mission San Antonio.  Captain Alazar lays out the 10 leagues distance between the missions required by the Laws of the Indies in order to give it the protection of the presidio.

1886
Work on an Edison electric system for San Antonio will soon begin, it has been rumored. Seeing is believing.

1968
The Daughters of the Republic of Texas formally open the Long Barracks at the Alamo.

Print
Categories: Texana
Rate this article:
No rating