Sunday, May 16, 2021

Events & News

Categories

March 16 in San Antonio history...

1956
City Council promised a delegation of 12 Negroes that action would be taken on the repeal of the “Juneteenth ordinance” from last year designating all but two city swimming pools for whites only. The repeal will come before April 14, the day that San Pedro Pool is scheduled to open.  San Pedro is one of the nine segregated pools.  The repeal ordinance drafted by City Attorney Cadena is also expected to remove any segregation in city buildings during public functions, but will not affect the Alamo Heights swimming pool, which is on city-owned property leased by that municipality.

1960
Six downtown stores and a city-wide drugstore integrate lunch counters and cafeterias. The stores were: Woolworth’s, Kress, Neisner’s, Grant’s, Green’s, McCrory’s Variety Store and Sommer’s Drug Stores.

1992
With its giant teeth and cutting wheels grinding a hole 27 feet wide, a 620-ton boring machine roared through the final 16 feet of shale today to complete the San Antonio River Tunnel.  When the inlet shaft near Josephine Street and the outlet shaft near Lone Star Brewery are finished in May 1993, the tunnel will be capable of saving downtown San Antonio from a so-called 100-year flood by routing floodwaters beneath the city.

Print
Categories: Texana
Rate this article:
No rating