Sunday, June 13, 2021

Events & News

Categories

May 14 in San Antonio history...

1716
The Spanish Council of War approves a site on the San Antonio River for a fortified presidio. The Domingo Ramon expedition, accompanied by the trader St. Denis from Louisiana (who had come to the site two years previously), established a presidio on the river at what is now San Pedro Park. This same council also approves the request by Father Olivares to establish a mission near the site.

1926
After being in storage for many years, the doors to the Veramendi Palace (right) were donated to the Alamo Museum today by John James.  Mr. James, along with the late Capt. F. F. Collins, has owned the doors since the old palace was razed about 15 years ago. The doors are made of hand-carved cedar and are so heavy that it takes six men to lift one.

1953
Mayor Jack White suggests that books in the public library written by known Communists should be branded or rubber stamped.  Interim City Manager Wylie Johnson takes things a step further, suggesting that the books be burned and every member of the library board be dismissed “if any of them have knowledge of Communist or Communist-leaning books in the library.”

Print
Categories: Texana
Rate this article:
No rating