SAN ANTONIO (November 13, 2015) – Last month, Mayor Ivy R. Taylor and the San Antonio Public Library (SAPL) launched the fall 2015 Mayor’s Book Club. The Mayor’s Book Club, which started in 2014, is a community wide read aimed at cultivating a community experience through reading and discussion.
Mayor Taylor’s book choice, “The Boy Kings of Texas: A Memoir” by Domingo Martinez is a gritty authentic coming-of-age story about a border-town family in Brownsville, Texas. Martinez uses this memoir to explore the world of a Texas border town in the 1980s. The book is a reflection of a clash of cultures, the complex bond of family, and the pros and cons of South Texas life.
In honor of the Mayor’s book choice, the San Antonio Public Library is offering a number of memoir writing workshops in library branches across the city through December. In these free workshops, participants will explore all phases of memoir writing-memory activating techniques, sensory writing, memory journaling – and look at some examples of what makes a great memoir. A special presentation by Mayor Ivy R. Taylor and Judge Nelson Wolff will take place at the workshop at Guerra Branch Library on Friday, November 20.
Memoir Writing Workshops will take place at the following dates and times:
- Bazan Branch Library • Saturday, November 14 • 10 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Igo Branch Library • Saturday, November 14 • 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Forest Hills Branch Library • Monday, November 16 • 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Guerra Branch Library • Friday, November 20 • 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- McCreless Branch Library • Saturday, November 21 • 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
- Encino Branch Library • Sunday, November 22 • 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Central Library • Tuesday, December 1 • 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Parman Branch Library • Saturday, December 5 • 2:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Central Library • Tuesday, December 8 • 7:00 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Memorial Branch Library • Thursday, December 10 • 5:30 p.m.
- Central Library • Tuesday, December 15 • 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
Copies of “The Boy Kings of Texas” can be checked out from any Library branch, or digitally at mysapl.org. For more information about the Mayor’s Book Club and for a list of workshops, visit mysapl.org call 210-207-2500.
Public Information Officer