The Alamo Bowl has most often been played on this date. Some notable games:
Downcast after going undefeated through the regular season, only to lose to Texas A&M in the Big 12 Championship game, the #4-ranked Kansas State Wildcats lose again to the Purdue Boilermakers, quarterbacked by Drew Brees, 34-30. The Wildcats are shut out in the opening quarter for the first time this season and only total four first downs, 63 total yards, four turnovers, a blocked field goal, seven penalties for 56 yards and three sacks in the first half.
The Penn State Nittany Lions win Alamo Bowl XV, 24-17, probably motivated in part by a remark made by a Texas A&M yell leader at a pep rally two days earlier, “Joe Paterno’s on his death bed! And someone needs to find him a casket!” Coach Paterno was nonplussed, remarking, “Maybe he’s accurate. I don’t know.”
The Baylor Bears with Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Robert Griffin III (right) defeat the Washington Huskies in the 19th annual Alamo Bowl by a score of 67 to 56, setting all sorts of records in the process:
- Baylor set school bowl records for points in a quarter, half and a game.
- The 43 combined third-quarter points set a Valero Alamo Bowl record.
- Baylor’s 67 points are the most scored by a team in FBS bowl history (previous was 66 by Nebraska in 2000 Alamo Bowl).
- Baylor and Washington established a FBS bowl record for most combined points (123) in a regulation bowl game and the most combined yards of total offense with 1,397, shattering the previous mark of 1,211 total yards set in the 2005 Insight Bowl.
- Baylor established a FBS bowl record for most yards of total offense with 777, shattering the previous mark of 718 total yards set by Arizona State in the 1972 Fiesta Bowl.