August 8 in San Antonio history…
Scores of striking pecan shellers menaced with stones and sticks the manager of a San Antonio pecan-shelling company. The manager stayed the crowd by brandishing a pistol until police arrived.
August 9 in San Antonio history…
The pictures of some of San Antonio’s prominent citizens will be shown in Riverside Park in the Edison picture machine, as well as others, among which is the Battleship Texas.
August 10 in San Antonio history…
County Clerk George Surkey said today that so many people are getting married while drunk that he would issue no marriage licenses after 5 p.m. daily and none on Sundays unless he personally knows the applicants.
August 11 in San Antonio history…
The school board has ruled that starting this fall, the high school course will be lengthened from three to four years. The additional time is considered necessary to master the difficult courses.
August 13 in San Antonio history…
Before the end of the week the city expects to own all of the land necessary for the right-of-way of the crosstown flood prevention channel. The channel will run from the back of the Public Service Company across Commerce, Market and Dolorosa, connecting with the river again in the rear of the Plaza Hotel.
August 14 in San Antonio history…
Ground is broken for the main building of Our Lady of the Lake Academy. Originally, the name was to be “St. Mary’s of the Lake” but Bishop Forest persuaded Mother Florence that there were so many St. Mary’s in San Antonio that another name might be more appropriate. With that, the name was changed to Our Lady of the Lake.
August 15 in San Antonio history…
While people took to the streets to celebrate Japan’s acceptance of surrender terms, effectively ending World War II, burglars ransacked houses and apartments left vacant by celebrants. A total of $425 in cash and numerous articles were reported missing.
August 19 in San Antonio history…
Mayor C. K. Quin Monday ordered a series of mural paintings taken from the walls of the foyer of the Municipal Auditorium, after their presence was protested by the American Legion Central Council of Bexar County. The paintings by Xavier Gonzales, were criticized for containing hidden Communist symbols.
August 20 in San Antonio history…
Married women will hereafter be permitted to secure positions to public schools of the city as the result of the action taken today at a meeting of the San Antonio School Board. The action was taken as a “war time necessity” with the provision that each applicant be passed upon individually.
August 21 in San Antonio history…
With approximately 100 artesian wells pumping hundreds of thousands of gallons of water daily, it is only a matter of time until the San Antonio River dries up, acting Mayor Phil Wright declared today.
August 23 in San Antonio history…
J.A. Berry, foreman on the work at the Carnegie Library, celebrated arrival of his first-born son yesterday afternoon. When the quit work whistle blew, Berry assembled the workmen in the main buildings where a copious spread of beer and lunch was served.
August 24 in San Antonio history…
Vance & Bros. give one lot of land, for the erection of an Episcopal place of worship, to St. Mark’s congregation. Mr. S. A. Maverick also donates four city lots for church purposes.
September 4 in San Antonio history
San Antonio switches over to the dial telephone system. Telephone exchanges change from Crockett, Travis, Mission and Woodlawn to Belmont, Cathedral, Fannin, Garfield, Kenwood, Lambert, Parkview and Pershing.
September 6 in San Antonio history…
San Antonio Female College opens its doors. In 1916 the college was recognized by the University of Texas as a junior college. The name was changed to Westmoorland College in 1918 and to the University of San Antonio in 1937. In 1942 the institution passed out of Methodist control, and the University of San Antonio was merged with Trinity University.
September 7 in San Antonio history…
Rain began falling in San Antonio and would continue for three days leading to widespread flooding, killing 51 people and causing millions of dollars in damages. The flood was caused by some of the heaviest rainfall ever recorded in Texas. The immense amount of rain quickly overwhelmed the the San Antonio River. Most of the victims were trapped in their cars by the surprise flood and drowned. Five to 10 feet of water submerged the city’s streets, delaying an evacuation. The city was underwater for nearly a week following the flood, which was responsible for at least $5 million in damages. In the aftermath, San Antonio embarked on a 10-year overhaul of its flood system.