Over the years, the Bazan Branch Library has placed a strong emphasis on its role as a formal educational support center and a
preschool learning center.
Prior to the Bazan Library, there was the old Prospect Hill Library which was built in 1930. This area, also known as Prospect Hill,
which is just west of downtown, is rich in history and has produced many prominent Hispanics. The library's doors closed in 1969,
when the Las Palmas Library was opened further west. So it wasn’t until 1977 when the Bazan Library opened that this area once
again had a library. The Bazan Library first opened its doors in 1977 in the Mexican American Unity Council (MAUC) Building (next
door to its present location). And it was this library that was named after Isabel G. Bazan, a former librarian. This branch remained
in the MAUC building until the larger, present facility opened on June 19, 1993. This beautiful building was designed by O’Neill,
Conrad, Oppelt Architects.
Some special features include: a standing seam metal roof, exposed truss work, natural finishes throughout, large north windows,
sunken children’s story corner, and a meeting room which can be partitioned into four small rooms. A total of $1.6 million in 1989
library bond issue money was used to construct the new Bazan Branch Library. The funds to build the new branch were authorized
in the 1989 bond issue for library expansion, renovations and new branches.
The Isabel G. Bazan Branch Library stands as a living memorial to Miss Isabel G. Bazan, former Main Library Supervisor. For over
34 years, Miss Bazan brought to the Library leadership, knowledge, and skill in implementing creative programs and ideas. Born in
San Antonio, Texas on July 8, 1920, she was the first of six children of Manuel and Carmen Bazan. She attended San Fernando
Cathedral High School and received her Bachelor of Science Degree from Our Lady of the Lake University in 1942. It was also at
Our Lady of the Lake that Miss Bazan obtained her specialization in library science.
Miss Bazan began her library career in August, 1942 with the San Antonio Public Library, remaining with the Library until her death
on February 7, 1977. She lived in the Prospect Hill area, close to the branch library named in her honor. She is remembered
throughout Texas as a librarian, but in her home neighborhood, she is remembered not only as a librarian but as a teacher of the
English and Spanish languages, a dedicated church worker, and a willing helper to all in the community.
Square footage of the building:12,000 square feet